Thursday, August 29, 2013

Facile

facile
adjective. Especially of a theory or argument, appearing neat and comprehensive only by ignoring the true complexities of an issue. Superficial. Of a person, having a superficial or simplistic knowledge or approach. Of success, especially in sports, easily achieved. Effortless. Acting or done in a quick, fluent, and easy manner.

He watched her approach after she finished her floor exercise. Compared to the tumbling runs she had just displayed, her springy jog appeared facile, though he knew better. From the front, the scars were invisible. Invisible, too, were the thousands of hours of rehabilitation and practice that had brought her to this moment.

She came to him and stopped.

"I can see that you're ready physically," he stated. "Mentally, I'm not sure. You froze and missed the low bar for no good reason the last time you competed. Do you think you've gotten past the fear?"

"I do." She looked away as she curled so she could rub the fading scar tissue that ran up the back of her lower leg from her heel, then went on: "Do you want to see my uneven-bars routine again? It was almost perfect the last time."

"I don't need to see it again. An audience and a panel of judges need to see it for the first time. I know you're ready to perform in front of me. I don't know if you're ready to perform in front of anyone else."

She looked unsure for the first time as she thought. The moment stretched as he watched the play of muscles around her mouth--the only hint of her inner conflicts and uncertainty.
"I do. Where are the entry forms for regionals? Let's go fill them out. I'm tired of this."

"You may fall again."

She glared at him. "If I fall, I fall."

Satisfied, he rose and led the way to his office.

Definitions adapted from The New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford University Press, Inc., 2005 (eBook Edition, copyright 2008), and from Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam Company, Publishers, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA, 1965, depending on which is more convenient to hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment